Monday, August 20, 2007

Alas! Where I am?
Stuck in this dark world.
I try to reach out,
But nothing is seen.
I try to walk forward,
But the thorns are all around.
I try to escape,
But there is no way out.

Alas! Where I am?
Stuck in this suffocating world.
I try to remove the darkness,
I try to remove the thorns,
But alas! I am left with nothing but the wounds.
I shout to god, “Please don’t do this to me,
Please don’t let this thing destroy me,
Please let me live my life.”

Then, the sayings of Shantideva struck my mind,
“Where would I possibly find enough leather,
With which to cover the surface of earth?
But wearing leather just on the soles of my shoes,
Is equivalent to covering the earth with it.
Likewise, it isn’t possible for me,
To restrain the external cause of things.
But should I restrain the mind of mine,
What would be the need to restrain everything else?”

It is then, when I realize,
That the darkness wasn’t outside,
But within my own mind.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ramro chha...ajai kosis garyo bhane nikai ramro huncha...keep on trying..chers

Anonymous said...

life is merciless war. No god helps. Fight with own power.

Arati said...

why always depressing thoughts? plz cheer up.
be positive.
the world will also be positive.

Tenzin Choezom said...

haha!!
with frens like u, how can i not cheer up?? dont worry, i'll come with other articles which will contradict these two. actually, these two are my first ever poetries.. thou i doubt of these qualifying in the section...

norrbu said...

Tenzin la, I wanted to write on the medal - but I didn't think I'd do proper justice to the sense of pride I was feeling that day. It's been a few days now, and the feelings (and emotions) have faded. I definitely won't be able to do justice now.

Again, I did not study literature in college. But thanks of thinking I did.

Anonymous said...

I think theres this element of melancholy in your lines but its not altogether devoid of rationalism and self realization. Self realization is the first step towards optimism..but hey..the best songs are also the saddest. But just cheer up more ok..Just like a famous poet once said,

"Here a star, and there a star,
Some lose their way,
Here a mist, and there a mist,
Afterwards, day!"

Unknown said...

beautifully written!!!